Here’s some information from English UK about visas that students may require to take a short course at a school or college in the UK.

A visa application form is not just a simple request for permission to enter the UK to study.

The request must be supported by the reasons for doing the course, especially how it fits into their plans for the future, and the research they have done in order to select the course. Students must also demonstrate that they have access to enough money to cover the course fees and living costs while studying in the UK.

Before starting to complete the application form, students should be encouraged to read the guidance issued by UK Visas and Immigration and other sources of information, such as the ones listed below. It is also a good idea to look at the visa application form as a whole.

Read UKVI’s Short-term study visa information, their guidance on filling in the application form:

Visit the UKCISA website for more practical guidance:–Advice/Visas-and-Immigration/Short-term-student-visa

Read Imperial College’s information for students applying for the short term study visa:

Students generally require the following documentation when submitting their application form:

Visa letter from the school stating the course dates, course fees and any outstanding fees (ideally mention the student’s current level of English as well as the course level too).
Letters from the current university/ employer confirming the leave has been approved and state the date the student is expected back.
Letter from the financial sponsor and the relevant bank statements for up to six months (if fees are not being paid by the parents).
Bank statements showing that money is available to support the student for the period in the UK. There is no prescribed amount, but some Entry Clearance Officers (ECOs) use the Tier 4 amounts as a guide (£1200/ month). NOTE: the amount will be less if fees and accommodation have been paid in full. Salaries declared on the application form must match on the employment letter and statements. Source of funds for large/recent transfers must be provided. This could be relevant bank statements, loan agreement, or evidence of sale of assets.
Parental consent to all the arrangements from both parents (if applicable) for under 18s.
Evidence of notification to the Local Authority where under 18s will be staying for over 28 days. If possible the acknowledgement from LA should also be included.

Although some of these are not required under the rules we would recommend that where possible they are all included so as to minimise the risk of the visa being refused.

Students coming on a short term visa are not required to have a formal language assessment ahead of starting their course. A simple conversation with the student can help determine the current level of English. Stating that and the level at which the course is set will add some credibility to the application.

Too little financial evidence is a common reason for refusal, even if fees have been paid in full. To avoid a refusal students should supply bank statements and pay slips (for the person paying for the course) for the past six months.

A letter from the sponsor setting out the relationship and reasons for covering the fees can add weight to the application. All documents must be translated.

We cannot give specific advice to students about filling in the visa application form, but we can send details of the information available on the Home Office’s website regarding applications for student visas.